Monday, November 23, 2009

taxonomy proposal II



This is my second proposal, I have decided to assemble to my taxonomy, in an accordion style book, size will be 6” x 9” in a horizontal layout, (technically 6”x11”--I will use the extra two inches in the horizontal plane for the binding). For my binding I will like to I will use the combination of a stronger white paper or perhaps a tinted paper with rice paper. As I mentioned in my previous proposal I will arrange my marks from structural to a less structural mark. I will scan these marks at high resolution and placed them in the page. There will be 2 marks per page, meaning that on the spread there will be 4 to make evident on the spread the structural to a less structural mark. I will like to pursue a different kind of binding, in which at the edges I will have bamboo sticks to make the pages look like they are smaller scale Japanese scrolls. I will use book binding mesh use for the spine of hardcover books as a binding attachment material.


Pages and Content


Title: Taxonomy: Marks and their Traces

Introduction Page - Describes the philosophy of Sumi-e .

Table of Contents- it will list shapes or my most structural marks of the shapes and the subheading will be the traces.

- 5 spreads


Denotative Words

circle

circular

square

rectangular

half-circle

half

part

stroke

line

triangle

triad

trio



Connotative

moon

crescent

new

waning gibbous

moon trail

house

plan

blueprint

dwelling

deteriorating

torn

vacant

bare

foundation (building)

infrastructure

river

flood

recharging

drought

alignment

road

street

crash

scrape

pyramid

civilization

egyptian



I feel that during the creation of these marks using the medium of ink and using water to toned done the intensity of our marks; is very similar to brush painting. The philosophy of Oriental sumi-e in which the goal" is not to recreate the appearance of the subject but it's soul. " I feel that with these marks the "soul" of the shape is the imprint left in the paper. My book will deal with the cognation of the simple shapes bring and in the context of their trace or path that the leave behind--or soul.

For instance:

Circle or cicular-- Moontrail : moon, crescent, waning gibbous, new

square---- Moving: blueprint, house, deteriorating, vacant

half-circle, part: Condensation: river, flood, recharging, drought

line: road : street, sidewalk, crash, scrape, dent

triangle: enlightenment: pyramid, ancient, point, stable, development, monumental, trace


Picture of model
Plan




No comments:

Post a Comment