Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Taxonomy Proposal

As a part of our process in creating the content for our haiku, we created a pages of marks utilizing non-traditional tools. These 30 + pages of marks , I will arrange them for this catalog in connotative and denotative characteristics. I will assemble this marks in a book 6"x9" and bound in a Japanese stab binding format in a horizontal format. I will also arrange my marks in a form of a gradient from structural to a less structural mark. I will scan my marks at high resolution and placed them on a toned paper, perhaps similar to the one I used for my mark making process. There will be 2 marks per page in which it will allow when open for 4 marks to evident on the spread in which the connection between structural and less structural mark be viewed. I will like to title my book: Taxonomy: Configuration of Form. After the cover the table of Contents will list the arrangement and there after the pages of marks will begin for even amount of spreads.
I feel that during the creation of these marks using the medium of ink and using water to toned done the intensity of our marks; is very similar to brush painting. The philosophy of Oriental sumi-e in which the goal" is not to recreate the appearance of the subject but it's soul. " I feel that with these marks the "soul" of the shape is the imprint left in the paper.
For the covers I will use illustration board cover in book cloth :


Denotative:

circle
half-circle
flat
lines
square
fan
round
twig
handle
cloth
splashes
puddles
triangles
scribble

Connotative:

moon
air
incomplete
trapped
mountains
nature
delicate
ditch
arrows
skirt
stairs
chaos
confusion

1 comment:

  1. You've made a great connection to sumi-e. Are the less structured marks the "soul" of those more structured? Or are all the marks the souls of the tools used to make them? Can you quantitatively measure the soul of individual marks?

    Include an introduction (written paragraph) about this thesis and include it in your book to communicate to the reader how you approached the organization of the book and the exercise itself. This is your "concept" behind the book that you should tie more creatively into the title and the choice of connotations.

    The simple 2 marks per spread is very elegant. In the example you posted I do see the structure to less structure mentioned.

    How do you inform the viewer about your organizational system of connotations and denotations? If you are including a table of contents, then that typically has a numbering system that connects directly to the pages (or individual pictures) in the book.

    Consider a few other components to the book. Perhaps diagramming. Perhaps your step-by-step how to.

    ReplyDelete